Work Experience & Placement
We facilitate students both the Secondary and Tertiary sectors, who live, work or study in the Manningham area.
The program is designed to offer students an opportunity to experience the processes involved in working in the community service area, ranging from recruitment through to policies, program design and delivery. This initiative was developed by the YMCA Manningham to equip students with real life experiences, increased employability and provide a credible referee for students in Manningham.
What we offer
For Tertiary students
Having hosted Manningham students across many of Melbourne's tertiary institutes including Deakin, RMIT, Holmesglen and Victoria University, we love being, what is often, the first point of professional experience for tertiary students. Past placement students have studied in areas of Youth Work, Health Sciences, Health Promotion, Community & Human Services and Counselling. Possible activities and tasks are included below. Past projects include Alcohol and Drug safety awareness campaigns, an LGBTQI support group website and running an 'Ideas for Change' holiday workshop.
Additionally, our School Focused Mentoring Program offers students an opportunity to gain up to 150 direct contact hours with a young person as a mentor. This program runs for 35 weeks during school terms only, in school hours, from February to December in 2017.
Applications for this program close January 2017.
For Secondary students
Local students have the opportunity to cover a range of tasks, from poster and website design to program support, practicing public speaking and creating a resume.
- Policy and Safeguarding Children Training
- Manningham Youth issues research
- Youth Campaign development
- Observing our programs
- Developing a youth focused website using varied media forms
- Shadowing a coordinator
- Assisting with program facilitation
- Designing and running a holiday workshop
- Grant application practice
- Industry job application guidance regarding cover letters, resumes and addressing selection criteria
- Become an official volunteer with the YMCA & continue your involvement with us beyond your placement/work experience.
- Contact the Volunteering & Mentoring Coordinator to confirm supervision availability, discuss hourly requirements & if the timing is suitable download application form Volunteer Placement Application Form.pdf, fill out and scan back to email@example.com
- After a successful interview, you will be subject to a National Police Check if aged over 16
- If aged over 16 you must hold a valid Working with Children Check (WWCC) or begin an application to gain one. Volunteer WWCC applications are free and available here
- Complete the Safeguarding Children Training online at home
- Come in to MC2 for goal planning & sign contracts
- Once you have a WWCC you can begin your placement tasks
To enquire into 2017 opportunities please contact our Volunteering & Mentoring Coordinator Anya at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 9848 5400. Download application Volunteer Placement Application Form.pdf
*Once an application has been submitted the YMCA Manningham is not at obligation to engage the student in a placement or work experience opportunity if deemed unsuitable.